Thursday, February 10, 2011

Trends of Laboratory Values and Your Health!


Regular checking of laboratory result trends is a priority in my workplace. Lab values tell the health condition of every patient. Today, I encountered a patient who's hemoglobin level suddenly dropped to 7.2 gm/dl today following a recent pilonidal cyst removal. I immediately reviewed previous laboratory results and found a significant decline that made me suspect for blood loss. I directly called the surgeon and a blood transfusion was administered soon after. The patient was hemodynamically stablilized after the blood administaration.

Trends in laboratory values determine individual's health. This leads in identifying nursing needs and initiate plan of actions to implement evidenced-based nursing interventions to improve patient's level of health. Trends of laboratory results, radiological studies, vital signs, intakes and outputs are easily accessible nowadays. Constant monitoring of this data are important in nursing practice to detect sudden changes in individual's health condition. I am very thankful for today's positive learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment