Monday, February 14, 2011

Glucometer Measures Your Sugar!

Glucometer is widely used in the medical-surgical department where I currently work. I can say that glucometer saves lives based on hospital experiences. My certified nurse assistant (CNA) informed me this morning that the patient's blood sugar was 48 mg/dl. I immediately went to assess the patient and found to be unresponsive. Dextrose 50% was administered intravenously and after a few minutes, my patient started to regain responsiveness.

I am amazed by this technological innovation. This piece of equipment is capable of measuring accurately blood glucose level. The result is automatically relayed to the laboratory through interface. Fast results can be viewed in the monitor. Previous blood sugar levels can be accessed to show specific trends which can be used to adjust insulin dosage required. This is very important in managing and controlling diabetes which is considered as common preventable disease prevalent here in the Rio Grande Valley. Proper self-management of diabetes is

recommended nowadays and glucometer is very vital in empowering patients for self-monitoring blood glucose level. Glucometer is very beneficial in hospital setting as well as home usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment