Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Providing Nutrition Using Enteral Feeding Pump

I was starting an enteral feeding when I started to wonder what would it be without a feeding pump in the United States and around the world. This question struck in my mind and made me curious. I remember the way I was giving feeding in the Philippines a decade ago. Bolus feeding is commonly used in our facility. At that time, nurses encouraged families to do enteral feeding for those patients who cannot do it for themselves in order for nurses to attend to other patient's needs. It took more nurse's time,  effort and patience feeding one patient using gravity because we did not have feeding pump at that time. Now that I am here in America, I definitely experienced the great benefits of using feeding pump. Providing enteral nutrition has been made easy and simple. Nurses can easily administer prescribed amount of feeding, regulate feeding rate and check for residual to determine malabsorption. Feeding problems can potentially be avoided. Proper guidelines must be followed in using feeding pump. Keeping patients head on elevation when feeding and checking for residuals regularly prevent feeding complications such as bloating and vomiting. It is important to maintain proper maintenance of these feeding devices. Charging feeding pump always, keeping it clean, and making sure it is in good working condition are responsibilities that nurses considered. Feeding pump is indeed one great technological innovation that lightens the work load of nurses in providing enteral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment